Monday, June 11, 2012

Whatever Happened To "Aldo Nova"? Q&A With Aldo!!

Q - What happened to your career after "Fantasy?"
A - The record went almost double platinum, and went top 10 in Billboard. I went from being an artist to sort of an investment for a record company at that point. When I wanted to stretch out and do my second album, I went completely left field. Rather than make a record exactly like the last one, I just went I'm gonna do something completely different. I wanted to grow and I did. 'Subject' is a concept record. I wanted to talk about stuff that was really important, like drug abuse. I wrote this anthem against drug abuse called 'Monkey On Your Back.' In '83, people weren't too keen on talking about this stuff. When that record didn’t do as well as the first album, and it came time to do the third record, the record company said well, maybe you should do it our way, soften up your sound, do this cover. They were going to try and make me into some fabrication, which I really wasn't into at all. The third album Twitch", was a very diluted album about what I was all about. I asked to be released from my contract, and they wouldn't do it, so I had to wait it out for six years, rather than make another record I wasn't really happy with. I couldn’t record for anybody else. I went back to Montreal, and started a jingle company and made a killing. (laughs)

Q - You say you've seen "the ugly side of the music business." What exactly have you seen?
A - The ugly side of the music business is exactly what I told you .I'd read about guys having problems with their record companies and I'd say that'll never happen to me, and sure enough, a couple of years later, I was in the same situation. That's the ugly side of the music business. I don't think people should be bound by contract. They should've let me out. I could've had a very good career six years ago, but instead I had to wait it out, which actually turned out for the best. There's always good and bad. It's become too much of a business. There's not really too much about music anymore.

Q - You say this time around you're going to leave the business decisions to the business people.
A - That's right.

Q - You could probably make a pretty good living writing and producing, so why do you want to go back out on the road?
A - 'Cause that's what I wanted to do since I was a kid. So, I'm starting over completely, from the bottom up, playing clubs, playing free shows, getting in the bus with eight, nine guys, and going at it. But, now it's easier, 'cause I know I can make a living. In my head, I'm secure. I know if this doesn't happen, I can do something else with my life. It'll always be with music. I'm really happy that I've got a second shot at it.

Q - Living in Montreal, don't you feel you're removed from the music business?
A - Completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment